HA! Chapter 16 Political Development in Imperial China
HA! Chapter 17 China Develops a New Economy
HA! Chapter 18 Chinese Inventions
HA! Chapter 19 China's Contacts with the Outside World
CONCEPTS: dynasty, bureaucracy, meritocracy, civil service, scholar officials, imperial state
CA State Content Standards
7.3 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of China in the Middle Ages.
1. Describe the reunification of China under the Tang Dynasty and reasons for the spread of Buddhism in Tang China, Korea, and Japan.
2. Describe agricultural, technological, and commercial developments during the Tang and Sung periods.
3. Analyze the influences of Confucianism and changes in Confucian thought during the Sung and Mongol periods.
4. Understand the importance of both overland trade and maritime expeditions between China and other civilizations in the Mongol Ascendancy and Ming Dynasty.
5. Trace the historic influence of such discoveries as tea, the manufacture of paper, woodblock printing, the compass, and gunpowder.
6. Describe the development of the imperial state and the scholar-official class.