Maya, Aztec & Inca Overview
HA! Chapter 23 The Maya
HA! Chapter 24 The Aztecs
HA! Chapter 25 Tenochtitlan
HA! Chapter 26 The Incas
HA! Chapter 27 Contributions
CONCEPTS: polytheism, urban society, class structure/social structure, empire, alliance, tribute, sacrifice, conquistador
CA State Content Standards
7.7 Students compare and contrast the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the Meso-American and Andean civilizations.
1. Study the locations, landforms, and climates of Mexico, Central America, and South America and their effects on Mayan, Aztec, and Incan economies, trade, and development of urban societies.
2. Study the roles of people in each society, including class structures, family life, warfare, religious beliefs and practices, and slavery.
3. Explain how and where each empire arose and how the Aztec and Incan empires were defeated by the Spanish.
4. Describe the artistic and oral traditions and architecture in the three civilizations.
5. Describe the Meso-American achievements in astronomy and mathematics, including the development of the calendar and the Meso-American knowledge of seasonal changes to the civilizations’ agricultural systems.